DIY Snares

Thread: DIY Snares

DIY Snares

Here is a little Snare info I put together for another forum.
    Thought it may clear up some questions for those who haven't used snares.
    Snares are a good alternative for trapping in stony soils.

Pictured here is a 1x2 picket anchor, 1/2 rebar driver for snare wires and pogo anchors, #9 straight wire, #11 wire with Newt Sterlings Inverted S and #11 wire with a W bend.
    The S and W bends are for holding snares in place.

This picture show the #9 wire bent to fit the bottom of the rebar driver.
    Drive it in the ground about 9 or so and pull out the rebar.
    The bend in the support wire will anchor it and also keep it from swinging around.
    This is for supporting the snare, not anchoring.
    I use this method if I don't have something to hang/tie a snare to like a short sapling.
    #11 wire will work just as well. IMHO, #14 is a little too weak to use like this.

This is a #9 support wire with a cone-shaped whammy securing the snare.
    Counter-clockwise rotation will twist the whammy on jamming the wire against the support wire.
    You can swing in about 45 degrees; from horizontal.

This is Newt Sterlings Inverted S bend.
    If you don't have or like whammys this works pretty good.
    It is a quick bend and holds well.
    One thing I dislike about it is that it won't drop the snare when a critter pulls on it because the wire is kinda woven into the support wire.
    Most times it will release but sometimes you will find your critter wearing the snare with the support wire in tow.

This is a W bend in a support wire. It holds real well but will bend the wire behind the lock.
    No big deal if you catch a critter sense the snare is a one time use anyway...
    However, if you pull your set you may have to work the snare wire a bit to straighten it some before using it again.

These two pictures show the 1x2x18 inch pickets I have used for anchors with the anchor wire installed
    with a swivel and the snare support wire pushed through and bent.

Just drive the whole thing completely into the ground leaving only the support wire and swivel on the surface.
    This is a good anchor in or along trails on dry land or in shallow water.
    If the ground is holding water or muddy you can go to a 24 picket.
    The deal is once it soaks up water it will swell up and you just about have to dig it up.
    If you leave these in place for next year don't be surprised if they have rotted away. These really are disposable.

Nothing special here just a 2 piece of PVC that is a little over 36 long with caps.
    I use this to carry my #11 support wires. Keeps them sorted and straight and out of the way.
    One of the caps has a 1/4 holed drilled into it. Turn the whole thing upside down and shake out a support wire. Works for me.

The reason that it is wire up to the rack is I filled it with white vinegar to darken the support wires.
    When it gets dark gray or to my liking I will dump it and fill it with some baking soda water to neutralize the chemical reaction.

The #11 support wires are made from ceiling tile support wires.
    You can find them in Home Depot and Lowes, they come in bundles of 25 or 50 (I forget which) and are 6ft. Long.
    Good thing is they are fairly cheap. I seem to remember less than $10 dollars for a bundle.

Great info here - a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Thanks

I have caught a few critters in snares - but nowhere near as knowledgeable about using them as I need be. Practice makes perfect.

Good info. Thanx