Duck Boat Paint Question

Duck Boat Paint Question

Im painting my boat Natgear camo... I'm using that camo paint you can buy in spray cans at Walmart... Has anyone else used this? Should I use some sort of sealer after I'm finished? Is there a better paint to use? It's looking really good but I'm curious as to how long it will hold up.

Save your money, time, effort.....take it to metro camo out of conway, spend that money on a good paint job.....it will look better and last 100x longer......

Quote Originally Posted by sunny b:1463167
    Save your money, time, effort.....take it to metro camo out of conway, spend that money on a good paint job.....it will look better and last 100x longer......
    x2

Zt: take pride and do it yourself!! what kind of base are you using, rattle can? I would spend the money and get a gallon of duck boat paint from Parkers and spray it with a gun.

I've seen metro camo, he does good work... However I've already started and don't want to spend 300 bucks. I've heard bad things about parkers, have you had good results?

I'm sure a commercial paint job would last longer, but if you have the time there is alot to be said for the satisfaction you will get from doing it yourself. It should last at least a season.

Yes, me and my cousin (joshua c on here), have did 7-8 boats over the last couple of years with Parkers. What we do is run sandpaper all over the boat, clean off with acetone or good alcohol, then apply the base. Usually do 3-4 coats both inside and out and let dry.

Call the Sherwin Williams chemical paint place in downtown LR and have them mix you up a gallon of Cobblestone for the base. It is the same paint they sell to war eagle for their natgear base. Its only $40 a gallon and will probably do 3 boats. Then you can use the rattle cans for the stencils. Prep is key though. Here is a pic of one i did.
    natgear.jpg

There is also Lock Stock and Barrel for your paint..

http://www.lockstockbarrell.com/

DHunt: Whats the type of Sherwin you are getting? We got some of the Kem 400 one time, it didn't last no time...

Quote Originally Posted by DHunt85:1463200
    Call the Sherwin Williams chemical paint place in downtown LR and have them mix you up a gallon of Cobblestone for the base. It is the same paint they sell to war eagle for their natgear base. Its only $40 a gallon and will probably do 3 boats. Then you can use the rattle cans for the stencils. Prep is key though. Here is a pic of one i did.
    natgear.jpg
    looks good!

Metro Camo is offline Member
    Forum Sponsor
    http://www.facebook.com/Metro.Camo
    The chem 400 will last...... There are 3 or 4 boat manufactures that use it in Arkansas. It's all about the prep!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During prep how much do u sand?

It was the KEM 400 i believe, and prep is very key. I took it to the car wash and washed it, then sanded it real well, took it to the car wash again, and then wiped it down with acetone. You can tell in spots that you didnt prep well enough because it will "bubble" up. If you are painting over factory paint on a boat, its not so bad. But if you are painting over a boat that has been rattle canned several times, it will take more prep.

Quote Originally Posted by factory909 View Post
    There is also Lock Stock and Barrel for your paint..

http://www.lockstockbarrell.com/
    X2 on Lock Stock and Barrel paint. I used it on my boat before season. It has held up very good. PREP IS THE KEY! I like the look of the Natgear pattern with the LSB "dead grass green" base color instead of the gray.

I've used just the rattle cans before and held up really good and my boat has been through some thick stuff. I'm redoing mine this year and will be using a sprayer. Doesn't really need it, but i'm doing other stuff to the boat so might as well paint it.

shiftymcfive01 is offline Super Member
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2013 Turkey Contest Winner
    camo netting. park boat, cover. repeat

I painted my motor with the Lock Stock and Barrel enamal paint as a base and it is awesome. Once it is on, it will be there forever! Did the pattern with stencils and spray paint. I think it looks good enough...not super pro-style but it works. Prep is the key though. Good Luck!