kemmer curr ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: kemmer curr ?

Alexander, just take it to the woods. First, teach it obedience and bond with it. Now, as I noted to you earlier, Curs are very sensitive You can't just pen them, or be too physical with them. Positive reinforcement works best with them. Take it wherever you go as much as you can. You have to make a cur your Buddy to get all its best out of it. Teach it to mind, to lead on leash, and socialize it to other dogs. Then take it for short woods walks letting it play, and be patient, increasing the time as the dog grows. Get a couple of pairs of boots, and just keep taking it out. Eventually, it will "Click" and you will have yourself a good tree dog. Your new dog is out of the Gold Nugget line and ought to be a good one.

j. english,
    Here's my dog Bear. 7/8 Old foundation Busher stock and would put him up aganist any coondog out there. He's 57 pounds and as gritty a dog as you will ever be around. I come to Arkansas alot and would be more than happy to show you a real coondog.

Hmmm, sounds like a hunting trip

dog.

tman im ready to see a real coon dog hell its been yrs since ive seen a real dog. lets go to wattensaw in my spot 4 1 hour lets see that cur tree a few coon. i dont brag on my dogs like some do but i have faith n them. i have never comp hunted n my life also i got 4 or 5 people that will tell u they have only seen 1 person with curs that treed coons thats me! coons rnt thick here! it takes a run dog to tree these coons not a squirreldog! if he cant work 1/2 mile to 1+ mile tacks he wont be consitant here!

Sounds like a plan to me. I don't hunt this dog much on squirrels anymore. I have a few of those OMCBA feist size dogs, as you call them, to do all the squirrel hunting with. (40 t0 45 lbs.) I hunt him with a friend of mine mostly and he hunts walkers and this dog can stay with them in the hills of Mississippi. He can definetly go as for as it takes to get treed. No problems there. Matter of fact, i've hunted him a good bit in Arkansas and never had any problems. I will PM you my number and we can get together and go.

dog

like i said i try not to brag on my dogs but i can take u to some folks houses that all have champion hounds this is walkers plotts & black&tans all r grand night champions & they will still be running the race when my cur already has the coon treed most wont even hunt with my cur because it make the champions look bad but they will tell u i have sure tree dogs. they will also tell u me & my grandfather cull better dogs then most will ever own. to me ur dog maybe a cull & 2 u mine maybe a cull!

dog

omcba started n 57 with like 200 dog bl# beginning list ok now all omcba should be line bred & nbred off of those first few dogs all these dogs were full size curs if these omcba dogs were honestly bred they would still resemble the old full size curs but most dont all curs if honestly bred should still resemble the foundation stock cause they r line bred & nbred but most omcba dogs dont this is my opinion get u a kemmer year book read townsends dunlavy article he has lots of info on full size true mtn curs

What you need to do is go to the OMCBA website and look at the old pictures on there of the dogs from back then. My dog is actually bigger than alot of those dogs. Also, don't you think it's kinda strange that there is a pile of Kemmers that are registered in the OMCBA. Think about it. It don't take a Albert Einstein to figure this crap out........

Oh yeah, by the way, why in the hell would i get a Kemmer year book and read it?....

guys if you look at the pedigree of ol streak himself he is Kemmer bred on the tippy top side just for your information and the small size came from linbreeding and inbreeding small dogs to small dogs just my two cents. Tman this is cedarjoe from SDC

Actually, "Yellow Jack" which is one of the original Kemmer foundation dogs, was a pretty small dog. He was the sire of "Little jack", which was in turn, a foundation dog of the "Kemmer Hybrid" AKA "Cajun squirrel dog". But it is correct that most of the foundation dogs were indeed bigger. Kemmer, Calvin Boute, Jodie Mullens and Jimono Thompson all started in 1980s to breed their dogs back and forth. Kemmer actually liked the idea of producing a miniature looking Kemmer cur, mainly for squirrels. And many of these, like Little Jack, Thomspon's Cricket and others were as good as could be found for bushy tails. One of the offspring also went to noted Plott breeder, Dan Murphy, He and Kemmer then got to together and began seriously breeding Kemmers with select Mullen's Feists. This began the Kemmer hybrid strain in full force. Kemmer grew tired of this venture, and went back to Curs. But down in Louisiana and in Tenn. The hybrids took off. Most of them have Gold Nugget, Yellow Jack and Target blood running all through them. Many others like Roy Pennell of Illinois, who now has all of Dale Martin's Dogs...Mountain View Curs, also experimented with Kemmers and Mullens crossings. Roy's Prize dog "Boy" is a Kemmer/Mullens hybrid. It is a great dog and will tree anything that would climb a tree. And upon seeing Boy, you would think it is the perfect Yellow Kemmer, save for the fact that it is on the SMALL side!

J. Engish is thus right about that historic Feist/cur mix and these "small curs". In truth they are indeed hybrids. But These little dogs ARE wonderful animals and will tree both coons and squirrels with the best of them. And today they are often being traded as "little kemmers". They are...sort of. But they should actually be traded as "Kemmer Hybrids", which is in fact what they are. Yellow jack was pure Kemmer all the way, but he was, as noted on the small side, and it was indeed the select breeding by Kemmer, Mullens, Boute, Thompson, and Pennell, as well as so many "back yard breeders" that diminished the size of today's so called curs. But that does not mean that they are not good dogs, they can be GREAT dogs. I just would not hunt Bear with them! And they are, and they should be seen, and bought, and sold as "Hybrids". Cause the plain fact is; that is what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Actually, "Yellow Jack" which is one of the original Kemmer foundation dogs, was a pretty small dog. He was the sire of "Little jack", which was in turn, a foundation dog of the "Kemmer Hybrid" AKA "Cajun squirrel dog". But it is correct that most of the foundation dogs were indeed bigger. Kemmer, Calvin Boute, Jodie Mullens and Jimono Thompson all started in 1980s to breed their dogs back and forth. Kemmer actually liked the idea of producing a miniature looking Kemmer cur, mainly for squirrels. And many of these, like Little Jack, Thomspon's Cricket and others were as good as could be found for bushy tails. One of the offspring also went to noted Plott breeder, Dan Murphy, He and Kemmer then got to together and began seriously breeding Kemmers with select Mullen's Feists. This began the Kemmer hybrid strain in full force. Kemmer grew tired of this venture, and went back to Curs. But down in Louisiana and in Tenn. The hybrids took off. Most of them have Gold Nugget, Yellow Jack and Target blood running all through them. Many others like Roy Pennell of Illinois, who now has all of Dale Martin's Dogs...Mountain View Curs, also experimented with Kemmers and Mullens crossings. Roy's Prize dog "Boy" is a Kemmer/Mullens hybrid. It is a great dog and will tree anything that would climb a tree. And upon seeing Boy, you would think it is the perfect Yellow Kemmer, save for the fact that it is on the SMALL side!

J. Engish is thus right about that historic Feist/cur mix and these "small curs". In truth they are indeed hybrids. But These little dogs ARE wonderful animals and will tree both coons and squirrels with the best of them. And today they are often being traded as "little kemmers". They are...sort of. But they should actually be traded as "Kemmer Hybrids", which is in fact what they are. Yellow jack was pure Kemmer all the way, but he was, as noted on the small side, and it was indeed the select breeding by Kemmer, Mullens, Boute, Thompson, and Pennell, as well as so many "back yard breeders" that diminished the size of today's so called curs. But that does not mean that they are not good dogs, they can be GREAT dogs. I just would not hunt Bear with them! And they are, and they should be seen, and bought, and sold as "Hybrids". Cause the plain fact is; that is what they are.
    angus,
    I think you and j english are talking about two different things. I understand completely about the kemmer hybrids and know Calvin Boutte personally. He's saying that the omcba dogs of today are smaller than the 200 foundation dogs and the kemmers have kelp their size through the years which is absolutely bull crap. If you go back and read his previous post, he is saying that the omcba dogs of today are crossed with feist which made them smaller. My Busher bred male is bigger than most of the old style omc dogs. Maybe j english has some those crosses that kemmer bred with those plotts that you was talking about....

Great lookin dog .Didnt know there was that much Busher blood left .what dogs is he out of.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    j. english,
    Here's my dog Bear. 7/8 Old foundation Busher stock and would put him up aganist any coondog out there. He's 57 pounds and as gritty a dog as you will ever be around. I come to Arkansas alot and would be more than happy to show you a real coondog.
    Great lookin dog what is he out of

Quote Originally Posted by Preston Brannon View Post
    Great lookin dog what is he out of
    Briar Mt. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    Briar Mt. Bud
    I got a Busher gyp 15/16 Nickleson bottom side Nice dog. I'm going to breed her to Bud in Jan. should be some good pups.

Here's my 1st one just got him on Friday. Buddy aka Bud reg. OMC from Harris Mtn Curs near Vilonia.

Attachment 17386

NICE! he'll be your buddy for a long time!

My favorite things about curs asside from everything else, are their ears. LOOK AT THEM EARS!!! Nice dog! Now then, focus on bonding, one of the most important things a cur owner can do is to bond with the pup. Then, focus on obedience and socialization. Later on, woods time will take care of the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bill warren View Post
    I got a Busher gyp 15/16 Nickleson bottom side Nice dog. I'm going to breed her to Bud in Jan. should be some good pups.
    Yes sir,
    That should be some nice ones for sure. Bud is a proven reproducer and he's getting old too. Folks needs to breed to him while they can, if they wanting some good busher pups. Oh yeah, and i just might be intrested in a pup out of that cross......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast