Squirrel n dumplings recipe

Squirrel n dumplings recipe

I need a good squirrel n dumplings recipe.

Boil squirrel till tender ( I always add about 1-2 can of chicken broth in the water)
    Dumplings.
    2 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/8 cups milk.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt and milk in bowl. stir till smooth, then let dough rest for 5-10 minutes
    roll dough onto a flour surface till at least 1/2 inch thick . (handle dough as little as possible) cut the dough into 1/2 inch squares ( this is where a pizza cutter comes in handy) drop into the simmering stock, The dumplings will swell but slowly shrink as they partially dissolve to thicken the stock simmer for 20-30 minutes. ( I also add at least 1 can of cream of chicken into the broth) Add the squirrel anyway you like to eat it ( either pull off the bone or just left in pieces with the bone) make up a good skillet of cornbread

sit down and eat till your buttons pop off them pants. lol

Thanks sounds good.

forgot use all purpose flour, not self raising.

Thanks for sharing! I've never made dumplins, and my wife wont touch squirrels. I got a couple in the freezer still.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbshunter View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I've never made dumplins, and my wife wont touch squirrels. I got a couple in the freezer still.
    I boil the squirrels until I can take fork and pull the meat off the bones. I usually cook up every squirrel I have after a hunt in my turkey frying pot. De-bone it all. What I do not use for dumplings, I freeze. Then it's ready for the next pot of dumpling, stew or mix with pan fired taters (hash). I do rabbits the same way. Season to taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Man1 View Post
    I boil the squirrels until I can take fork and pull the meat off the bones. I usually cook up every squirrel I have after a hunt in my turkey frying pot. De-bone it all. What I do not use for dumplings, I freeze. Then it's ready for the next pot of dumpling, stew or mix with pan fired taters (hash). I do rabbits the same way. Season to taste.
    Thanks! That's kinda how I do my turkey legs. I figure if I have a bag of mystery white-meat laying around, I might get my wife to eat squirrel after all! We always just fried them... delicious, but you know you're eating rodent.

My son is 1 yr old now. I havent done much squirrel hunting lately, but I hope to be doing a lot in the future!

Hey, stupid question regarding that recipe... You would use the stock from boiling the squirrels for the dumplins, right?

About the only thing different we do is add a little of the Squirrel broth to the milk when makin the dumplins. and we boil them with lots of onion and celery.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyHussy View Post
    Boil squirrel till tender ( I always add about 1-2 can of chicken broth in the water)
    Dumplings.
    2 cups flour
    1 1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/8 cups milk.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt and milk in bowl. stir till smooth, then let dough rest for 5-10 minutes
    roll dough onto a flour surface till at least 1/2 inch thick . (handle dough as little as possible) cut the dough into 1/2 inch squares ( this is where a pizza cutter comes in handy) drop into the simmering stock, The dumplings will swell but slowly shrink as they partially dissolve to thicken the stock simmer for 20-30 minutes. ( I also add at least 1 can of cream of chicken into the broth) Add the squirrel anyway you like to eat it ( either pull off the bone or just left in pieces with the bone) make up a good skillet of cornbread

I find no fault with whats been posted. This may be the best.... but here is how I do it ( saves a lot of time making dumplings)
    Boil the little guys till the meat is tender and starts to fall off the bone. ( 2-4 hrs ) , remove from stock and de-bone , add meat back to stock, add 1 can cream of chicken soup, one can of Grands original canned biscuits flip them over every few minutes , they will swell up at first but then start to shrink back down as they cook. once they seem cooked ... its ready !
    Side note- It wont be purdy to look at but .... I get no complaints.

Yep all of that and I also add 2 eggs to my dumplin mixture. Makes them purdy and yeller.

i usually add them to my chicken and dumplins and nobody ever knows. that is if you pick out those tiny tooth pick bones! i will stew a chicken or two depending on how much i want to make. i like alot of meat in my dumplins so tree rat makes a good filler! i will stew all my meat with a couple carrots a couple sticks of celery a cut up onion 2 bay leaves salt pepper garlic and i use better than bulion it is a paste and is way way better than chicken broth. 2 to 3 tablespoons for stewing. after cooked i debone all the meat and put it back in the broth. then i make the biscuik dumplins and add garlic powder salt and pepper to them and then drop spoon fulls into the boiling broth. cover and cook until dumplins are done. i always make a double or triple batch of dumplins. they always taste better the second day. eat for an few days freeze the rest and eat again when the mood hits!

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyHussy View Post
    Dumplings.
    2 cups flour
    1 1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/8 cups milk.

Yes this is good but I change things a little when boiling your squirrels put in salt and pepper with 2 strips of bacon.

And I am lazy so I have found if you buy cheap can biscuits and roll them out until they are about 1/8" thick and slice into strips 1" wide it makes great dumplings with out all the mess of mixing them up.....