Bull Sharks In Arkansas River

Bull Sharks In Arkansas River

This is a stupid question, but has anyone ever heard of Bull sharks in the Arkansas River? And if so how did they get through the locks? I don't believe this but I heard someone say there were!

It would be possible for them to get through the locks but not often. They would just be lucky to come in when the gates are open and lock up with a towboat. Possible but not probable

But during very high water when the dams are open river and all the gates are out of the water they could just swim through. Since they have made it up the Mississippi to Illinois, I am sure they are in the Arkansas.

I heard on the Discovery channel that bull sharks were caught is St. Louis...so I reckon they could make thier way up the AR and the White too. Maybe they follow the barges thru the locks, idk

Wow I knew they had been found quite a ways inland, I never knew they could come that far.

How big were the ones caught in Illinois? There have been several fatal attacks in Asia by bull sharks.

bull's are some mean sob's. I figure there are some

radio telemetry studies on Paddlefish in the AR river shows them lock through often. so maybe.

The reason for this question told a freind of mine not to swim in the river below the Toad Suck dam in Conway because there were bull sharks there. I was just curious.

I caught one on a crankbait.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnieWalker View Post
    I caught one on a crankbait.
    Behind the wynne wal mart??

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    I heard on the Discovery channel that bull sharks were caught is St. Louis...so I reckon they could make thier way up the AR and the White too. Maybe they follow the barges thru the locks, idk
    I saw that too! I love me some shark week!

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    The reason for this question told a freind of mine not to swim in the river below the Toad Suck dam in Conway because there were bull sharks there. I was just curious.
    We swim in the Arkansas River south of Toad Suck just about every weekend. If you want to find us look straight across from the fouche river on the sand bar and there we will be. We have done this since about 1995 and I hate to report no sharks ;)

have any of you guys ever seen the show River Monsters? there's a good possibility that they are in there but i dont think id worry too much about it. you'd have better odds winning the lotto than getting bit by a shark in the AR river

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver919 View Post
    you'd have better odds winning the lotto than getting bit by a shark in the AR river
    No chance whatsoever if you ever saw the Arkansas here.