how to trap coons

how to trap coons

how do yall catch coons in the mountains? i figurd out that fox likes to hunt around briar patches at the edges of fields where do the coons travel we have no corn fields or nething so how do trap em?

coons spend most of their time around creeks, especially as dry as it is, if you can find a bit of running water you can bet there will be coons feeding up and down it.

Creeks, streams, ponds, lakes any of those will work. We use a marshmallow with grape or strawberry jam on them. They work great. foot trap or live trap both will work. I like a dirt set in the side of a back of a creek or with rocks stacked to back a little cave and a foot trap. Good Huntin

I caught 7 last winter, using a live trap & little debbie oatmeal pies.

I got some coon cuffs at the end of last year, stick a marshmallow on around a creek or pound and you will be eatin cooooooon.

Yea,If your going to catch a coon in the mountains this time of year its going to have to be close to a water source I always just use a slice of bread in a live trap if im going to use a leg trap I break a piece up and put it under the pedal always works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight View Post
    how do yall catch coons in the mountains? i figurd out that fox likes to hunt around briar patches at the edges of fields where do the coons travel we have no corn fields or nething so how do trap em?
    Strap a 55 gallon open top drum to a tree about 1 foot off the ground. Drill some small 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the drum put in an open can of sardines or tuna fish. They will try to get to the odor of the fish through the holes and eventually climb the tree and bail off into the barrel and not be able to get out. It's a hoot if you get more than one at a time they will fight each other trying to get out, lol

My favorite set would have to be with PVC pipe and leg hold traps. I cut 1 1/4" pvc into lengths about 12 inches long. Any culvert, creek or water there will usually be coon. I drive the pipe into the ground or bank about halfway and throw in some bait. I usually use bait shrimp but alot of stuff will work. Set the trap. Trap location isn't critical cause they'll be all over it trying to get at that bait.

I caught around 36 in one week this past fall on one of my farms that is only 180 acres and all woods isnt that crazy??? I use all dog proof traps and they are called Coon Daggers and are the best I have found period they are a push/pull trigger and I have never had a coon escape them yet or steal my bait. I have over the years tried lots of other traps and none have been found to produce with the same results. IF THEY TOUCH MY BAIT THEY ARE CAUGHT!! I place all my traps around deer stands, down logging roads or atv trails,around creeks or ponds and I mix my own lure and use the cheapest dog food I can find thats small bits. One other thing to remember that has really helped me is to use Fishy type smelling lures in the fall and sweet smelling lures in the spring and summer like berry's. I only trap in the fall due to AGFC rules. Here is a picture of the first nights results of my traps on that farm, I let my 9 year old do the shooting he loves to run the trapline. I also for got the mention I put out 24 of the coon dagger traps on that place and would move them around if they did not produce after a week.

Wink

hey did you know that one coon on the end is a possum

Thanks I just thought that one wasn't getting as much food...

Nice batch of coons, sure nuff some biggins there.

What's the hides gonna bring down there this year Payne?

$6-$10 green is about the going price depending who is buying them. I have a guy who doesnt work a steady job and likes to eat them so I give them all to him and he gets food and then he sells the pelts for extra $$. He wanted all the possums I caugth as well but I never take them to him so I don't end up eating them when he ask me to try something he has cooked.

I like using a square bucket with a 160 inside it. I use fish in the back. Put a small rock in the back. Put them around creeks ponds acorn flats deer and cow feeders. It is a plus to walk up on a bucket and have a bobcat in the 160. Vm

Thumbtack a few Christmas tree icecycles to a limb laid across a small running stream. Traps underneath. They will look like minnows moving in the moonlight. Goodbye coons!