PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to cook a deer ham

buck 9
09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
i was wanting to see if anybody had a recipe for cooking a deer ham i don't have a smoker so what is the best way to cook one. thanks for the help :head:

BEERHUNTER
09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
if you do not have a smoker the way i have cooked one before was to inject it with a marinade,season outside,wrap in bacon and cook very slow in oven wrapped in foil.I have deboned and stuffed with hot breakfast sausage and slow cooked before and they turned out good,you can chop up and add bar b que sauce after its done.

Gunner'sMate
09-17-2008, 06:10 PM
if you do not have a smoker the way i have cooked one before was to inject it with a marinade,season outside,wrap in bacon and cook very slow in oven wrapped in foil.I have deboned and stuffed with hot breakfast sausage and slow cooked before and they turned out good,you can chop up and add bar b que sauce after its done.

The way I do it if not smoking it on a pit.......just inject it with a favorite marinade, I even make up a honey and brown sugar glaze, add pineapples, wrap in foil and cook on a real low oven........

UCNE
09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Buy or Build a smoker and smoke it slow draped in Bacon then glaze it............:clap::up::fit:

Gruntcall
09-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Buy or Build a smoker and smoke it slow draped in Bacon then glaze it............:clap::up::fit:
Like UCNE said, BUY A SMOKER.

firehog
09-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Inject with marinade, Slow smoke few hours, then wrap in bacon, season it more, wrap in aluminum and slow cook till falls off bone.

jerry dean
09-18-2008, 09:24 AM
The best way/only way that I cook a deer ham is to cut it off the bone and break it down where all the membrane is off and cut it into 1/2 thick pieces, then pound 'em paper thin and fry it like a tenderloin... add Jerry fried potatos and butterbeans on the side. Biskits & milk gravy optional...

For a different/tangy taste, sometimes I'll coat the meat in yellow mustard instead of milk, then dust it with flour before I fry it. It's dang good that way too.

It takes a little work to break down the usable meat off the bone, and there is a little that is probably wasted, but I don't really like the taste of deer meat unless it's fried...and my smoker don't know how to cook anything but beef/pork ribs, a brisket, chicken or a pork butt.

:up:

twilightstalker
09-18-2008, 09:55 AM
I normally always use my grill to smoke mine with. I have a large charcoal grill that i will build the fire on one side and the meat on the other. the best thing that i have used so far is the Jack Daniels smokin pellets. make a lil pouch out of some heavy foil and place right on top of the coals. These are made out of the oak barrels they use to season the whiskey. puts out alot of smoke. If done at the beginning of the cook. adds a real nice smoke flavor without it being too powerful. As for meat prep all i do is inject with butter cajun flavor and put a good rub on the outside. (Usually cajun) Smoke for almost a day at about 175 degrees. you have to add charcoal through out the process. I did one like this for thanksgiving last year and out of 15 people there was none left. the funny thing is only about 6 to 8 people actually like venison.

buck 9
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
thanks for everyone's help i've cooked about everything but a deer ham didn't know how it was supposed to be done:thumb:

y hunt
09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
The best way/only way that I cook a deer ham is to cut it off the bone and break it down where all the membrane is off and cut it into 1/2 thick pieces, then pound 'em paper thin and fry it like a tenderloin...

Amen Brother!

buck 9
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
if you cook it in the oven what should the temp be set at

Doebuck
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
The best way/only way that I cook a deer ham is to cut it off the bone and break it down where all the membrane is off and cut it into 1/2 thick pieces, then pound 'em paper thin and fry it like a tenderloin...
:up::thumb:The only way:thumb:

Browser8
09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
The best way/only way that I cook a deer ham is to cut it off the bone and break it down where all the membrane is off and cut it into 1/2 thick pieces, then pound 'em paper thin and fry it like a tenderloin... add Jerry fried potatos and butterbeans on the side. Biskits & milk gravy optional...

For a different/tangy taste, sometimes I'll coat the meat in yellow mustard instead of milk, then dust it with flour before I fry it. It's dang good that way too.

It takes a little work to break down the usable meat off the bone, and there is a little that is probably wasted, but I don't really like the taste of deer meat unless it's fried...and my smoker don't know how to cook anything but beef/pork ribs, a brisket, chicken or a pork butt.

:up:

That's it right there.

When I read the title of the thread this is exactly what came to my mind. :)

bett_lou
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I marinade mine in coke, red wine, worcester sauce, and rub with some seasonings. I make slits in it and put cloves of garlic in the slits. I sear it over the open flames then wrap in foil and put it on the grill until tender. Let it rest when it comes off the grill. Then slice it and reserve all the juices and make a gravy out of the juices. Then I add the sliced ham back into the gravy and it's the best po-boys you ever put in yo mouth! :biggrin::biggrin:

bett_lou
09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Okay to cook this on the stove just substitute some oil in a skillet with high heat for the searing part. Then put in the oven on about 300 degrees, covered and cook it. Not sure how long. That would depend on the size of the ham. Just check it for tenderness and doneness.