PDA

View Full Version : Corn Cost vs OnTime Feeders

WillyB71
07-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I am going to do the math & come up with a formula to see at what point it becomes cheaper (in one season) to replace my old "eat all you want" gravity feed barrels & tubes with decent quality automatic feeders.

It's getting close now.

So far, the one OnTime unit I own is pretty reliable.

How long do they last, on average????

Mr. Chitlin
07-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I can't answer you question but will say that I used a gravity feeder for a couple of years and the deer and turkeys would eat it about as fast as I could pour it in. It would hold 800# of corn and I could fill it up one weekend and it be gone the next weekend.

When I went to the programmable feeders I had mine set to run 4 seconds 7 AM and 4 seconds at 4PM. This was enough to keep the deer interested but not just gorge themselves on corn. Once they got used to the feeder running I have actually seen them come out before it would go off and stand there looking at the feeder until it threw. I used a barrel that could hold 300# and it seemed to last almost a month at that rate.

sam
07-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I used to keep 4 tube type feeders out year round. They would hold 25 to 30 pounds of cattle feed each and they would clean then out every night. I was feeding a couple of hundred cows every day, so a couple of extra buckets of feed for the deer didn't seem like very much since we were buying the feed in buld 12 ton loads. Well when the tornado hit us 4 years ago it got all the barns, fences and grain bins so we sold the cows. I started buying sack corn for the deer and it didn't take long me to figure out that those couple of extra bukets of feed each day added up to over 2400 pounds of feed per month. At the current price of corn that's about $500 per month. A feeder will run about from $120 up, I use the feeders and 200 pounds of corn will last about 60 days at 3 pounds of feed a day. Doesn't take long to pay for a feeder.

Hēlim
07-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I am going to do the math & come up with a formula to see at what point it becomes cheaper (in one season) to replace my old "eat all you want" gravity feed barrels & tubes with decent quality automatic feeders.

It's getting close now.

So far, the one OnTime unit I own is pretty reliable.

How long do they last, on average????

My advice go moultrie automatic over the Wild Game feeders. We bough 5 Wild Game On time feeders last year when Wal Mart had them for about $50, and it was the worst mistake ever. We tried every battery from the most expensive to the cheapest, including rechargeables. Never got more than 5 days battery life. You spend a alot of money on batteries replacing every weekend. I also had an older moultrie feeder. It ran from September-Febuary on one battery, (not even rechargeable) and still had close to 75% charge when I took it down in Febuary.

I just don't understand how a moultrie can last over five months on a battery when a Wild Game "Monsta d" can't make it a week. Long story short, pay the extra $30-40 and get a Moultrie.

Powerquack2K
07-22-2012, 01:36 PM
My advice go moultrie automatic over the Wild Game feeders. We bough 5 Wild Game On time feeders last year when Wal Mart had them for about $50, and it was the worst mistake ever. We tried every battery from the most expensive to the cheapest, including rechargeables. Never got more than 5 days battery life. You spend a alot of money on batteries replacing every weekend. I also had an older moultrie feeder. It ran from September-Febuary on one battery, (not even rechargeable) and still had close to 75% charge when I took it down in Febuary.

I just don't understand how a moultrie can last over five months on a battery when a Wild Game "Monsta d" can't make it a week. Long story short, pay the extra $30-40 and get a Moultrie.

I have ON TIME brand and Moultrie feeders.

Both have excellent batter life.

Hēlim
07-22-2012, 06:34 PM

I have never tried the On Time brand, just the two I mentioned above. I would like to replace my WIld Game feeders, but with the bears in the area I don't think purchasing new feeders would be a wise investment.

AR Thumper
07-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I have 1 On time Elite that has been operating on $100 worth of corn since last september. I had it in my front yard from September till around December. I must of had 20 different deer feeding in my yard until Muzzle loader season & they all just disappeared. The corn was just pileing up after that.I cut the feeder back to 6 seconds 2Xs a day. It was on 15 seconds 100% before that. About the first of December I moved the feeder around to the wooded area behind my house & its set on 6 sec. 2 Xs a day since. The Deer are just now comining in fairly regularly now but I have a lot of squirrels feeding on the corn & I actually got a picture of a Dove the other day under the feeder. Im still working on the 400 or so #s of corn I bought last fall.Ive seen plenty of deer at the feeder but its there strictly for the games benifit.I do not hunt over it although I could if i wanted to. I had more fun with the Camera this last year. However the feeder is Very frugal I don't buy near as much corn as I did when I hunted with the camp had 4 feeders out. I would never go back to tube feeders NO WAY. 10 AA batterys have lasted all year & I've got it set on 50% speed also to save feed. If I can I will buy another 400# this fall, or maybe ASAP before the price shoots up this fall!:eek:I can definatly say the auto feeders have paid for themselves in corn savings!:up:

Buck-Ridge
07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
In a month you can pay for a timed feeder. The deer where I live will eat 300 pounds a week.

jpsimmons45
07-22-2012, 09:59 PM
I have been using the On Time feeders for 5 years and like them pretty well. On Time sells a feeder called a "Ranger" through Simmons sporting goods in Louisianna. You can look it up online and call in the order. It is just as good as the On Time Elite but about $40 cheaper. I would spend the extra $10 and get the digital timer. It runs on 10AA batteries that will last 4-5 months.

Greyhound
07-22-2012, 10:09 PM

Same here.

mojo1
07-22-2012, 10:54 PM
I can't answer you question but will say that I used a gravity feeder for a couple of years and the deer and turkeys would eat it about as fast as I could pour it in. It would hold 800# of corn and I could fill it up one weekend and it be gone the next weekend.

When I went to the programmable feeders I had mine set to run 4 seconds 7 AM and 4 seconds at 4PM. This was enough to keep the deer interested but not just gorge themselves on corn. Once they got used to the feeder running I have actually seen them come out before it would go off and stand there looking at the feeder until it threw. I used a barrel that could hold 300# and it seemed to last almost a month at that rate.

Thats petty much sums up my experience with feeders!!! Switching styles was the smartest thing I ever did. I still use the 5 gal buckets to judge how good a spot is before I go to the trouble to put a barrel feeder in it. I made my barrel feeders myself, they hold 350lbs and it leasts about 2 1/2 months for me. My batteries usually last 4 to 6 months. Itried those rechargeable batteries with a solar panel, I just didn't have luck with them, it could have been the fact i bought the cheap ones

bossmann68
07-22-2012, 11:15 PM

I got a Moultree from Wally world and the batteries last about 2 months for me. I get the $2 dollar ones. I am thinking about getting a rechargeable and a solar panel for mine.

Buck-Ridge
07-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Another benefit of using the timer is that you don't have all your corn being eaten at 2 in the morning. You can train them somewhat to come when you want if that is your thing.

Blyon
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
If you live within three hours of simmons sporting goods you are crazy to buy anything other than ontime. the warranty is priceless and It is not un common for me to use the same batteries for 2 seasons or 15 months

aaronh
07-26-2012, 09:06 AM

I got my "monsta d'' aug. last year at dicks sporting goods and bought a extra wild game rechargable battery. put a full charge on the battery. ran it 10 sec. in morning and 10 sec. in evening every day the battery lasted a good month and still had some charge.

WillyB71
07-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I put my On Time in the shallow end of my pond and filled it full of floating catfish food. It works great except when it rains and the feed on the spinner head gets wet, making a plug that has to be cleared after it dries out.

So far this year, that hasn't been too much of a problem.

Besides setting them in concrete, what's the best way to keep the hogs from knocking over your tripods?

buckjunkie
07-28-2012, 09:41 PM
on time and wild game are not the same company.
on time feeders are great and most of them come with lifetime warranty and are built in Louisiana.
they cost a little more but you don't have to worry about replacing them every couple of years.

SA Doc
07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Whatever you get I'd get a small solar panel and a rechargeable battery. 12 v system is better than 6. I get about 4-5 years from a battery. I like All Seasons feeders, but not sure they sell them in Arkansas.